Monday, January 7, 2013

Recipe Redo

Dinner is kind of a big deal in our house. We all sit down at the dinner table which Archie and I feel is an important value to instill in Carsen at a young age. Nothing makes me happier than making my boys a wholesome, well balanced meal that not only taste good, but is good for them too. I also take pride in knowing that they are not ingesting a ton of artificial things like colors or preservatives. I try to keep it as clean as possible and include all of the food groups to keep it balanced.

Tonight, I wish I could say I had the inspiration for this recipe, but I was inspired through other means. I have a confession to make. I am a Pin-aholic. You know, one of those people who pins a ton of stuff to their Pintrest account in hopes that I'll need it one day. Well, I hopped on to see if some inspiration would strike me for dinner tonight. I thought about what I had on hand and set out on my mission. And then, I came across a brilliant idea. Philly cheese steak stuffed pepper. I'm a big fan of peppers. I use them a ton in my cooking. Bell peppers are a super source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Vitamin B6. They are also a source of Omega 3 fatty acids (the good fats that have been proven to lower bad cholesterol). They were healthy, super delicious, and quick to make. The prep was the only thing that took time. The ingredient list was not outrageously long either!

Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers

8 oz deli sliced roast beef
6 oz sliced mushrooms (I used white)
1 sweet onion sliced
1 tbs minced garlic (I love garlic so I always use a little more)
2 tbs olive oil
2 green bell peppers
8 slices of provolone cheese
salt and pepper to taste

* Pre heat oven to 400*F.

* Slice bell peppers lengthwise and de-rib and remove seeds. Layer one slice of provolone cheese inside the bell pepper.

* Throw sliced mushrooms, sliced onion, minced garlic, and olive oil in frying pan. Saute until the onions and mushrooms are nicely caramelized (about 25-30 minutes). Salt and pepper to taste.

* Slice the roast beef into strips and combine with the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Cook another 5-10 minutes.

* Fill the bell pepper halves to the point of over flowing and layer the second slice of provolone on top. Cook in pre heated oven for 20-30 minutes, until cheese on top is browned.



Let me tell you. My boys ate this up. Seriously, it was so good. It was simple and easy. And for those of us who are on low carb diets (this dish comes in at about 6 net carbohydrates) this is perfect to reminiscence the traditional Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment