Saturday, January 5, 2013

Better Alternatives: Homemade Fruit Snacks!

We've all had these store bought snacks before. You know, the little pouches of gummy imitated fruit flavors in the shapes of cartoon characters like (what's popular now a days?) Captain America, Scooby Doo, or any kind of Disney Princess. Honestly, I think my son would ask me all day, everyday if he can have a fruit snack, but he now knows better because 95% of the time he got no for an answer. Specifically if he'd already had one for the day. But if he could, I truly believe he would eat them all day, everyday. The kid loves them. In fact, I don't know many (make that any) kid who does not love fruit snacks. Carsen loves them, I don't so much love the sugar packed in'em. Or the artificial coloring that's added by the truck load. So, I set out on a mission to find something comparable to make myself. I came across several recipes on the net, but holding true to my philosophy, I modified it to fit my criteria. The specific recipe I initially found called for gelatin, which I felt would make a more "Jello-jigglier" type snack. I wanted an actual gummy snack I could slice up and bag that didn't need refrigeration to keep its shape. In place of the gelatin I substitute low or no sugar pectin. So, without further adiue I give you homemade fruit snacks:

1& 1/2 cups frozen fruit (Any kind really! I chose mixed berries with no added sugar for my first batch)

1/4 cup of water

1/2 cup non-sweetened applesauce

1/2 cup fruit juice (Once again, any kind will do. I used low calorie cranberry juice this time around)

5 teaspoons pectin

In a sauce pan, combine the fruit and water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes until the berries are soft. Transfer to a blender, or use an immersion blender, and puree until smooth. Return berry puree to pot and add applesauce, return to boil and then remove from heat and cover.

In a 8x8 glass dish (or ceramic baking dish) add fruit juice (should just cover the bottom). Sprinkle pectin over the juice and let sit for one minute. Then add hot fruit mixture and stir until pectin is completely dissolved, about 3 to 5 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until firm, this usually takes about 3 hours. Then cut into blocks (or tid bits).

You could even make this extra fun for the kids and use mold shapes to add a little something special (aside from the fact that you just recreated the best kids snack ever, in a more health conscious way).

My son hasn't yet tried these gems, but I assure you, you will get an update. Cross our fingers he likes them!





7 comments:

  1. Do you know if you could use sweetened applesauce? My daughter has sensitivities to preserved and processed food, we have homemade applesauce but it is sweetened (making another batch of applesauce will take me about 3 hours, so not enough time) and just wondering if it will affect the consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how these turned out ? Did they cut easily? Did your kiddos like them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally! A recipe without gelatin! THANK YOU! Gonna try this asap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed your recipe exactly and they never set up. Just wondering why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mine did not set as well. wondering why they didnt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question, how much total liquid is in the recipe? Frozen fruit plus water plus juice? I would like to use unfiltered juice to replace the fruit and water and juice. (Not including applesauce) 1 1/2 cup frozen fruit, how much fluid does that turn into?

    Also, can I use low/no sugar pectin(surejell)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ladies! Check my post after this! Sadly these did not work out, I adapted the recipe from another that used gelatin. :( BUT the fruit leather was amazing! :) And I apologize for never responding! Life gets crazy. Passwords are lost. You know the drill. ;)

    ReplyDelete